One of the most aggravating things to me in this world has to be the absolutely rampant anti-intellectualism that dominates so many conversations and debates, and its influence just seems to be expanding. Do you think there will ever actually be a time when this ends? I'd hope so once people become more educated and cultural changes eventually happen, but as of now it honestly infuriates me like few things ever have.

• @ThePenitentOneOP
    link
    19 months ago

I don't think everyone is an idiot. It's a big assumption to say so. People have their reasons and motivations. Many people weren't given a fair chance in life, many lacked an education, many were raised to think a certain way or in a certain culture.

I'd wager I have tried arguing with the people I would categorise as 'anti-intellectual' more than 99% of people to ever have lived trying to understand them, and I did develop a level of empathy and understanding. But still it remains that just because people have reasons, they aren't necessarily valid and eventually people are responsible for their own self-reflection and decisions. 'Solving' this issue with people who already have engrained beliefs is incredibly difficult because they need to be responsible themselves. It isn't something I can actualise solely. It's far easier to start from a fresh generation, because changing is hard when you are used to something for so long. You see this in religious people especially and in people who eat meat. I know why they are/do what they do, but still it doesn't give justification. Many of them may even doubt their beliefs, but still cling to them. I know they do because I used to as well. I even still proceeded to do things I know were wrong. I don't claim to be flawless. Furthermore, I also know there is no reason to come in blaming these people ruthlessly because it will not progress anywhere and serve no purpose, what is done is done. But I cannot deny how annoying it is to see people still refuse to even attempt to learn.

The 'solution' is very complex if you want people to change because it will be an incredibly difficult task and something that would require an entire cultural shift to how people think. No doubt long term and I don't have the answer to how, and even if somebody did, it still relies on others to make a decision themselves. You can only make your own judgement of individuals for so long, soon enough you can recognise patterns and arguing every case is not possible with what time you have. I do my best.

• @Pandemanium@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      -19 months ago

I think you're mixing up intellectualism and morality. There are many reasons people choose not to eat meat, and some of those reasons are emotional or moral rather than intellectual. Some people only eat a vegan diet because their doctor told them they had to. Are those people somehow more intellectual than someone who researched the science and came to the conclusion that humans are omnivores?

You have already judged the outcomes of people's decisions as being objectively correct or incorrect. To you, eating meat is incorrect regardless of the reasons for doing so. That is not an intellectual stance, it is a moral one. You are ultimately judging people for having different values than you. Maybe they don't care about the environment, maybe they don't care about the safety of animals or other people. Like it or not, to care about those things is emotion. You can argue they're wrong as much as you like, but you can't prove that any human behavior is objectively "the right thing to do," meaning you are not as objectively correct as you think you are. There isn't a one-fits-all solution for how to live. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can stop judging others for not being like you.

• Intellectualism is a moral issue, and a serious one in our society.

The only way democracy works is if the population is intellectual, and when it stops being such, it falls apart. We can't afford for people to reject learning and education the way they have. It's the reason why we get dipshit wannabe dictators like Donald Trump in office and why corporations and companies have been allowed to run roughshod over everything this country claims to stand for. It's why climate collapse has been allowed to go on unabated. It's literally the root of all of our problems.

Don't stand here and try to tell us it's not a moral issue. It is. And people who refuse to learn anything are doing something wrong.

• @intensely_human@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          29 months ago

people who refuse to learn anything are doing something wrong

Well at least we agree on one thing. It is a moral imperative to learn about the world, to make oneself capable of solving problems.

• @Pandemanium@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          -29 months ago

Don't stand here and try to tell us it's not a moral issue. It is. And people who refuse to learn anything are doing something wrong.

I literally said it is a moral issue. And I get the importance of people changing. But you have to accept that you can't control this. You can lead by example or you can try to educate people. If you really want to control people, become a dictator. Judging people doesn't make the world a better place. OP said they don't like religion, but this is exactly what religion does: it declares there's one right way to live and judges anyone who dares to not live that way.