Just want to thank everyone that engaged with my post today everyone was so chill and inspiring. I want to encourage us all in this community and all over Lemmy to continue to be kind and helpful. I had so many bad experiences on Reddit with hate keepers and know it alls and I’m glad we got this opportunity to be something better.

Ps: what cad software did you start on and what do you use now? Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    61 year ago

The window part kills me… Wish there was a real Linux alternative.

• ffhein
      link
      fedilink
      English
      41 year ago

Last time I checked it almost worked in Wine… No issues with the actual CAD stuff, but IIRC the window for managing projects was broken so once I had reached the limits of the free version I couldn’t close any open projects.

I use FreeCAD primarily. It’s powerful but the UI is a bit clunky and occasionally you have to spend a lot of time on something that feels like it ought to be a simple operation. Perhaps I ought to try OpenSCAD too

• @thefartographer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

I used to run Fusion 360 in Chrome on my Chromebook and then chromium when I flashed the Chromebook to Ubuntu after my support schedule ended. I get it for free through the school district where I work and am using my two licenses on my computer and on my friend’s computer where I definitely do much of my modeling. -cough- lie -cough-

If you or anyone you know has an email account from an educational institution, you should be able to access it for free!

• Gormadt
        link
        fedilink
        English
        21 year ago

Shit I didn’t know about the education email thing, I’ll have to give that a shot soon.

I’m currently using the hobby license of it.