As I’m sure most of you know, searching for tips on how to manage symptoms, what can effect medications, or just general information about ADHD there is a lot of advice for parents or information written about ADHD children. I’m tired of looking at information that sounds like ADHD is a thing you age out of, hell I thought we got past that point a long time ago. You fine folks have any sources for ADHD info that don’t assume you’re the parent of a bratty 6 year old?

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    57 months ago

The real issue with Adult ADHD is you are expected to manage it yourself… Gee thanks why not make my life as hard as possible…

But that said, I would say the baseline for support is a Psychiatrist or PMHNP-BC - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. Getting the correct medication and combination of treatment is critical to stabilizing so you can take advantage of other resources.

I strongly suggest at minimum a medication to treat the ADHD and probably an anti depressant (if directed) as depression is a very common comorbidity.

Once you have a stable level of medical support the next step is the mental support. For that I strongly suggest a cognitive behavioural therapy provider. The reason being building stable behaviours is key to reducing the impact of some of the issues that come with ADHD.

After that I got nothing, because I have personally not made it past this point, and have actually back slid some due to life. I am transitioning to a new Therapist so fingers crossed I can start to recover some.