a.k.a. the 90–9–1 principle. Does the Fediverse follow this rule, or are there more creators here as early adopters? Are you a creator, a participator or a lurker?

• @milesOP
    link
    English
    91 year ago

Many people have suggested that the people most likely to leave Reddit because of the recent issues are in that 10% of posters and commentators.

yes, this is my question! i feel like it is creators/participators are the most likely to see the red flags early and do something about it.

• AFK BRB Chocolate
      link
      fedilink
      English
      81 year ago

Not only that, but the website or app might be fine if all you do is scroll through posts occasionally. If you’re on the site a lot and really active in creating content, it’s a lot less adequate.

• @Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 months ago

The new Reddit site was awful if you like browsing and making comments. It really made it apparent that they didn’t want people spending their time doing that and just wanted you to move on to the next post.

For me, the discussion was the whole point of a site like Reddit. I’d get disappointed after clicking and reading an article from another source and realized there was no comment thread to look at because I didn’t get there from Reddit because I always looked forward to the high quality and insightful things people had to say about it (which was kinda sarcastic regarding Reddit, though there were certainly gemstones in the rough, but might work here).

Oh and I guess that shows that I’m not really a “creator” since I just realized I could have posted those articles myself to the site if they weren’t already there. 🤷

• AFK BRB Chocolate
          link
          fedilink
          English
          311 months ago

Yeah, in similar to you. In all honesty, I was also a little disappointed when I saw an interesting article posted on Reddit that I had an opinion on, but there were already thousands of comments. I always figured no one would ever get to mine, so there was no point in making one.

I also wasn’t much for posting new content, but I’ve been trying to do that some here to help things grow.

• @Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            311 months ago

There was a trick to replying to an already popular post, which basically involved picking a comment where replies to that comment were still visible instead of buried behind a button.

Then just keep your comment relevant and try to add something with it. And don’t be an asshole, or if you can’t manage that, at least try to be a popular kind of asshole, while keeping in mind that what is popular can vary from community to community.

• AFK BRB Chocolate
              link
              fedilink
              English
              211 months ago

Yeah, I did that some, but I always felt weird posting a comment without checking to see if someone else already said it, and I wasn’t going to read 1000 comments.