• @Rooskie91
    link
    English
    17 months ago

That’s true but group think requires a strong leader with a vision and a willingness to direct the group towards his own goals vice the best interests of the people. So I believe there’s an argument to be made for targeting and removing specific people from power to prevent atrocities from happening. Group think is a psychological concept, so here’s some more information about it. There are other factors involved, so removing one person still might not be effective.

Group Think

• Thinking in which maintaining group cohesion and solidarity is more important than considering facts in a realistic manner

Occurs when:

• Group members are highly cohesive
    • Group member are isolated from contrary opinions
    • Group is lead by a biased leader who make their wishes known
    • Stress caused by external factors, especially time constraints

Signs of Group Think

• Overestimating group’s skills & wisdom
    • Biased perceptions and evaluations of other groups and people outside of their group
    • Strong conformity pressures within the group
    • Poor decision making methods
    • @XaeroDegreaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

My point wasn’t that single people can’t be bad, or do bad things, but ultimately to perform terrible acts at scale it requires buy-in from other people. Without support, whether it be through fear, coercion, or otherwise, it’s nothing more than intrusive thoughts.

Hitler was a bad dude but it took a concerted effort by who knows how many people in order to make the sick stuff that happened a reality.

All the names he listed were indeed bad dudes, but I feel saying Kissinger stands out because he had the support of the government while the others just killed millions by themselves is not a fair assessment of what transpired.