I hope community will help in this situation! ;)

• @privacyfighterOP
    link
    English
    97 months ago

But inclusion of Proton domains makes many Proton users to be unable to register on websites. It is only helping google to keep monopoly and it is simply privacy harming

• TedvdB
      link
      fedilink
      English
      47 months ago

How do you know this?

Besides that, this is just a list providing burner email addresses. Adding Outlook to this list makes sense. If sites are using this list as a blocklist that would cause issues, forcing them to not use this as blocklist anymore.

• @InfiniWheel@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

If I read correctly, in a PR someone makes an argument that Proton and Tuta are newer services that advertise privacy and anonymity as opposed to more well established services like Outlook or Apple mail that do end up linking mail to an identity.

• @Spotlight7573@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      7 months ago

The list that the repo maintains is for services that can provide burner or anonymous emails.

You can sign up for Proton Mail anonymously, as demonstrated by a frequent contributor to that repo in issue #414.

Therefore, it seems appropriate for it to be on that list, as annoying as that is.

I’d hope that site providers wouldn’t just summarily ban any domains on that list but I understand why they may take that shortcut to reduce spam/abuse if they don’t have adequate resources to handle it other ways.

• TedvdB
          link
          fedilink
          English
          37 months ago

Yes, that’s why I proposed to add Outlook to the list too?

Mozilla provides a similar service I believe?

• @privacyfighterOP
            link
            English
            17 months ago

Yes. Aliases is not disposable mails. Moreover SimpleLogin (Proton aliasing service) forbids to use it as disposable in ToS

• @privacyfighterOP
            link
            English
            17 months ago

You can try by yourself (without “grey” ip)

• @Grangle1@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        27 months ago

I have a bad feeling that’s what a lot of site providers will do, and you can almost guarantee the big tech data brokers will push them to do so, especially Google/Gmail. They will own our lives, by force if necessary.