Meta just announced that they are trying to integrate Threads with ActivityPub (Mastodon, Lemmy, etc.). We need to defederate them if we want to avoid them pushing their crap into fediverse.

If you’re a server admin, please defederate Meta’s domain “threads.net

If you don’t run your own server, please ask your server admin to defederate “threads.net”.

• @Delusion6903
    link
    English
    146 months ago

Too bad people on mastodon don’t have the ability to block an instance they find objectionable for themselves-- oh wait.

Not sure about Lemmy, but we can do this on mastodon. I don’t need someone else deciding for me.

Tldr? Couldn’t disagree more

• @Scrollone@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I agree, I don’t want a blanket ban on Threads. I know Meta is a horrible company, but we shouldn’t decide in advance.

Honestly, I’d be very happy to be able to follow people on Threads through my privacy-respecting Mastodon/Lemmy app. Because, let’s be serious: we’re just a bunch of nerds here. If I want to follow famous people or companies, I’m going to find them on Meta’s platforms, not here.

ActivityPub lets me follow those accounts without using Meta’s apps, which are famously riddled with ads, trackers and whatnot.

• @aldalire@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

It might take time but why not naturally wait for these famous people to expand their network and consider being on lemmy/mastodon? Without having to interact with Threads at all? I feel it would just be a matter of time, and we can adjust on our own terms instead of having to let Threads in.

• sour
        link
        fedilink
        36 months ago

why do you want to follow famous people and companies

• 𝐘Ⓞz҉
        link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

Famous people need regulars to follow them. Get more people like you and me and celebrities will follow.

• @chitak166@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      16 months ago

Yeah, another fail from the design team.

Kinda stupid how much we value having power taken away from us and given to random people on the internet.