My kiddo and I are having a fruit and vegetable challenge. Each month we’ll seek out a fruit or vegetable we’ve never tried and taste it. My BFF is trying to walk all the greenways in our county (that is county not country, low stakes! Attainabl!). How about you?

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    146 months ago

I’d recommend getting into Asimov’s Foundation series. I, Robot is kind of a meh book from him, Imo (I’ve read all his fiction work)

Also take a look at Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park) and Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey).

I’d also recommend Heinlein, but his books do get pretty “pervy misogynistic old man harem fantasies” in his later years.

• @runjun@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      56 months ago

Great recommendations. I want to read the foundation series, I’m enjoying the show, but the wait time on Libby is really long. Michael Crichton is one of my favorite authors. I do need to read some of Clarke’s books but it almost suffers from “classical” must read avoidance I have lol

• @I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        26 months ago

If Asimov’s Robots series has a shorter/no wait I think they’re worth reading. Maybe not as exciting as the Empire and Foundation series, but it’s interesting background- the evolution of robots, positronic brains, robot/human relations, jump ships, space colonization, human clones. Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun and Robots of Dawn are murder mystery detective stories that advance the robot plot.

Asimov recommended reading his books in this order:

The Complete Robot (1982) and/or I, Robot (1950)

Caves of Steel (1954)

The Naked Sun (1957)

The Robots of Dawn (1983)

Robots and Empire (1985)

The Currents of Space (1952)

The Stars, Like Dust (1951)

Pebble in the Sky (1950)

Prelude to Foundation (1988)

Note: Forward the Foundation (1993) was then unpublished, but would have followed Prelude.

Foundation (1951)

Foundation and Empire (1952)

Second Foundation (1953)

Foundation’s Edge (1982)

Foundation and Earth (1986)

https://more.bibliocommons.com/list/share/1584219139/1735833849

• @runjun@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          26 months ago

I appreciate the recommendation and listing them out! That is actually helpful as I don’t like searching up which book is next.