Finished Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. Loved the book. Series keep getting better and better.

After much deliberation on what to read next, went with Valour’s Choice by Tanya Huff. Book 1 of “military sci-fi” series Confederation. Tanya Huff was recommended a long time ago on reddit, but I wasn’t sure if I was in “military sci-fi” mood, but I am really enjoying the book.

The book is years after you join the Confederation, and it doesn’t hand-hold you by explaining each “alien” term or how each species look like right away, giving you the feel that these words / things are so common that there is no need to explain them, but as the novel progress you start learning what’s what and which species look like what.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    24 months ago

That’s interesting. I dabbled with some lucid dreaming when I was young. I was able to do it most of the times but at very basic level and without proper discipline or using most of the techniques they mentioned, but then stopped it for some reason. Might be interesting to give it another try.

I recall once picking up a random book about telepathy, again when I was pretty young, don’t recall anything from the book, except it had many exercises mentioned, that will let you experience astral projection and things thing like. On the very last page, it had a warning that not to do these exercises without any professional as they can be dangerous physically and mentally. I found it really hilarious, that the warnings were on the last page and not the first page, if I had been doing them as I was reading, I wouldn’t have seen them until I had reached the very end 😀

Would love to hear how your AP journey goes, and if the book helps with anything.

• @TheFriar@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      24 months ago

Yeah, it’s pretty interesting. I’ve always been a more logical, sort of evidence-based person. I didn’t believe the spiritual AP stuff when I first read it, but I assumed it was explainable by unconsciousness mixing with consciousness. A mind trick, basically. And I don’t have much evidence to the contrary, still, but I also haven’t made as much progress as I would’ve liked.

If I ever see any serious progress, I’ll happily share my experience! I’m always willing to learn about something I was previously skeptical about.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        14 months ago

Well, I do like to think there are things beyond what we can understand. Even in non-religious sense. That doesn’t mean I believe Astral Projection is real… I guess I am more of in the “it would be cool if it were real” group.