Awesome to see that Bambu and the X1 Plus devs are talking.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    75 months ago

the wording and way they said they would “have a web page” where you can unlock it made my decision easy. If I have to hope that in the future they have a website that will let me get a special code to “unlock” my printer then I dont really own it.

As soon as their announcement came out, I got a Voron 2.4, it will be my printer and no one but me gets to say when its EOL.

• RandomLegendOP
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

You’re being overdramatic here

Right now you can install the custom firmware, put it in lan only mode and disable internet access.

Then no one can tell you when its EOL

This website is just because they closed the loophole in the firmware that allows flashing with a current update (you can downgrade your firmware to open it again) and to make it as clear as possible

• @infinitevalence
        link
        English
        65 months ago

Voron kit is already shipping, hope to start building next week. The idea of click and print is nice, but not at the expense of being part of the “apple” of 3d printings behest.

• @max@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        55 months ago

I disagree. I like their tech, I think it’s cool how they (nearly?) managed to have an inkjet-like experience for an FDM printer. (As in, click, wait, take off print). However, I got (rightfully, though I say so myself) spooked by the news that their printers started randomly printing worldwide due to an error in their cloud services. That should just not happen. Ever.

• @Scipitie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        35 months ago

You’re not being dramatic enough - if you switch your point of view from user to creator. I’ll try to explain my point of view:

This is a hardware company just learning oppen software at best and there are a lot worse scenarios.

The homepage is an artificial loop. Correct me if I’m wrong but LAN mode wasn’t even fully functional on rollout.

They create awesome and exciting machines but that you point a critique of their closed system business practice as “overly dramatic” is interesting.

From my point of view notions like this will increase the split of the communities even further (makers VS users VS builders).

This doesn’t have to be a bad thing from my perspective nor is it the fault of Bambu - it’s just that individual people with their own focus will have a vastly different perception of how much intensity (aka drama) is appropriate.

• RandomLegendOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          05 months ago

Elaborate instead of belittling me.

In what way is my statement naive? LAN only mode allows you to fully use the camera and network connectivity from withint OrcaSlicer. You can disable the internet access from your router to make double sure.

Then there is absolutely no way that via software the printer can be put EOL. There are multiple third-party replacement parts on aliexpress. If your mainboard dies, then yes. You HAVE to go back to bambulab for that. Or atleast for now. I have hopes that further development of X1 Plus will enable the use of third-party chips / boards.

So… explain why i would be woefully naive. And stop being condescending about it buddy.

• littleblue✨
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

If you haven’t yet, I strongly suggest reading the other comments here that are also contrary to your viewpoint (not to mention 2-3 days old). That fact that it’s technically naive to trust a corporation not to fuck over its consumer base is lost on you is telling, and I have other things to do than waste time holding your hand, bud. 🤗