• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

That’s where therapy for you comes in. Gotta figure out how to get used to it, because adhd is for life.

It might help you to think of your son having adhd as being functionally the same if he was paraplegic.

ADHD isn’t a chemical imbalance like depression. It’s a developmental disorder where something happened to his brain while he was a fetus, and now his frontal/prefrontal cortex doesn’t function correctly.

It’s literally a disability, so you don’t cure it, you learn to work around it.

• The Snark Urge
      link
      fedilink
      English
      25 months ago

After a half a decade or so, I do feel as if I could use some counseling. So many quick and intense feelings that I’ve never had to deal with before have left me feeling somewhat whiplashed - reactive and grouchy… I’ll try to make room in my life for some talk therapy down the road. Meanwhile we’re seeking options to help him manage his symptoms. Thanks

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        English
        25 months ago

If your son having adhd is a struggle for you, then therapy needs to be now, not later. Otherwise there’s a chance you might start resenting him, and those feelings can be hard to get rid of after they get established.

Or, at least read some self help books specifically for parents of adhd children.

My wife figured out she was on the spectrum not too long ago, and me getting therapy and reading books for people in my situation really helped with being patient and understanding.

But, I made the mistake of waiting until things became an actual problem before doing it, so it’s been a struggle for me to not struggle with it.