• @page
    link
    185 months ago

I don’t get it. Men go around for years carrying Yeti tumblers and no one bats an eye. Women start carrying a similar cup with a handle and everyone acts weird.

• @RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

worthy of ridicule

Because limited edition cups of the brand I used to buy at the Flying J truck stop for $12.99 now costs $150, and the resale value is $200. People are buying a half dozen or more to go with whatever they’re wearing. They’re Stanley mugs for heaven’s sake.

It’s absolutely stupid, and Yeti was just overpriced trendy stuff, not the equivalent of a Beanie Baby fad as a fashion accessory.

Can’t wait until these fools are stuck with piles of worthless mugs they wasted money on. You’ll find these mugs at yard sales or Goodwill in a few years. Good for Stanley makers, though. Hope they laugh all the way to the bank over this vapid trend.

Edit: TBC I think the overpriced Yeti gear is dumb, but I never thought of it as being “gendered”. Plenty of women had Yeti gear. The levels to which this Stanley thing is being taken is ridiculous, and it seems to be predominantly a female thing as a fashion accessory. It’s not dumb because women are the ones buying it up, it’s just dumb because it’s dumb. IDC who the suckers are.