• @rubicon@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      176 months ago

Effective at what though? I thought the main point of wearing a mask was that you were less likely to spread your sickness to others, especially if you weren’t symptomatic yet.

• @howrar@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          46 months ago

so serious I don’t even know I have it yet!

I know you mean this to be facetious, but most diseases do work like this. Shit incubates, you feel mildly shitty for a bit, it spreads, then you either get better or you die. Ever notice how it takes a few days after encountering someone with the cold/flu before you develop symptoms yourself? Or how people with cancer never know they have cancer until they get themselves properly tested?

• @isthereany
        link
        -216 months ago

Is it so effective that you need to be concerned if other people are wearing a mask? Also, that would be quite a different concern than this submission is hinting at.

• @benderfend@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      146 months ago

The main point to wearing a mask is so you don’t cough and spit over everything and everyone. They are meant to mitigate the spread of the virus. It was never going to stop it.

• @KevonLooney@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        46 months ago

Please. Stop trying to take away my God-given right to sneeze, cough, and spit all over everyone. And don’t get me started on those glass “sneeze guards” at the buffet!

• @isthereany
        link
        edit-2
        6 months ago

How effective are masks at that?

Moderators are working hard to delete my comments here but I provided evidence masks have little to no effect on the wearer.

It’s kind of weird. I thought the rules on Lemmy were to be respectful and allow a wide range of opinions but moderators just come in and delete civil comments?

Edit: Oh I found out it was automod because I was so downvoted. Why do users here do this to people?

• @fosho@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

great! I guess surgeons and doctors can stop wearing them all together now thank fucking goodness for these studies please share them.

• @isthereany
      link
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Oh I guess the mods decided that my comment needed to be deleted for some reason. For reference I just said masks aren’t particularly effective, which the cochrane review showed, and that people shouldn’t be concerned with other people’s decisions given that low efficacy. I’ll probably be banned next for simply stating medically proven facts and the echo chamber and continue unabated.

https://www.cochrane.org/news/featured-review-physical-interventions-interrupt-or-reduce-spread-respiratory-viruses

Medical or surgical masks

Seven studies took place in the community, and two studies in healthcare workers. Compared with wearing no mask, wearing a mask may make little to no difference in how many people caught a flu-like illness (9 studies; 3507 people); and probably makes no difference in how many people have flu confirmed by a laboratory test (6 studies; 3005 people). Unwanted effects were rarely reported, but included discomfort.

Obviously these are the kinds of masks most people are referring to and they make little to no difference.

Why would the moderators delete facts like this? What’s the real intent here?

Edit: Oh my gosh, the mod log gives me insight it was automod because so many users downvoted me for telling the truth. Thanks everyone.