About 59% of Americans say TikTok a threat to the national security of the United States, according to a new survey of U.S. adults.

• @Sir_Kevin
    link
    English
    91 year ago

You don’t think Meta, Google etc are passing data to the American government?

• @Phillaholic@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

They will comply with any court order. They won’t hand over unfettered access like TikTok has to in China.

• @agitatedpotato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        71 year ago

Considering the CCP can’t arrest Americans but the US government can, it makes no sense to be more afraid of china on a personal level.

• @galloog1@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -21 year ago

And that is exactly what the Ukrainians thought about Russia. These are all actions intended to gain an edge to enable a potential future conflict. They are acting like it. We should too. War in the South China Sea is something everyone should be afraid of.

• @galloog1@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -21 year ago

Very American of you. Americans felt the same way about the Japanese until 1941. Then it was about control of the newly important resource of oil.

• @galloog1@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  1 year ago

Not only is that factually false with them invading Alaska, it’s like you’re saying that you’d be okay with another world war because we would win in the end. I would personally prefer to deter one which this effort is a part of.

• @SCB@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    edit-2
                    1 year ago

I’d be OK with another World War against Russia, sure. They can’t even beat Ukraine lol

China will not engage in war with the US because it would obliterate their economy.

• @Sir_Kevin
        link
        English
        -11 year ago

Yes, yes I do. Also the CCP can’t ruin my life, unlike Uncle Sam. Deciding which one is more evil is irrelevant.

• @galloog1@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 year ago

Well, the majority of Americans disagree with you per this article. A world war with China absolutely would ruin a lot of lives. I cannot even comprehend how you could come to the conclusion otherwise.

• @Sir_Kevin
            link
            English
            edit-2
            1 year ago

The majority of americans are fuckin stupid and believe whatever their TV programming tells them to believe.

Who said anything about war?? I’m staying “in this regard”, which is about privacy and data being taken and used by a government. Outside of that context yes I think the CCP is absolutely worse than the US in just about every category. There’s no question there.

• @galloog1@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              11 year ago

Read the title of this thread again. This thread is about if TikTok is a threat to national security. This thread is about war.

• @Sir_Kevin
                link
                English
                11 year ago

That’s not what I was responding to but in any case, no, I don’t think tiktok is a threat to national security or going to cause a war. This is FUD.