• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    155 months ago

I just want to point out that decapitation, in a medical sense, doesn’t necessarily mean the head is removed from the body. You can be internally decapitated.

• @Lesrid@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        55 months ago

Not necessarily. There are stories of horsemen getting bucked while staying in the saddle and having to hold their head up by the hair while riding to medical attention. They didn’t become quadriplegic but the internal decapitation lost them control of their neck.

Not too sure why it isn’t considered a broken neck though

• @ricecake@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          115 months ago

If you dislocate your elbow, you didn’t break a bone, the joint just came unhinged.
          Your spine is a set of joints.
          An internal decapitation is basically a “dislocated skull”.

It’s only because we have a special word for “head came off” that it’s a bit mixed up.

Colloquially, you probably could call it a broken neck, since I don’t know if anyone particularly cares if the spinal nerve damage was because bone fractured or just came loose, outside of a medical professional.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          75 months ago

There are stories of horsemen getting bucked while staying in the saddle and having to hold their head up by the hair while riding to medical attention

Fuck I was not prepared for that horrifying of a read at 3pm on Thursday