• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    35 months ago

That’s a caveat that should be part of every study on psychology. The brain is so complex that it’s impossible to control for everything.

But, this definitely isn’t the first study to show this correlation, and repeatable results are somewhat of a rarity in psychology.

It’s really not a far fetched theory in the first place. Exercise releases endorphins, and your brain likes getting high.

• insomniac_lemon
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

My thinking is that there’s also physical health issues and other issues that make physical activity less viable. Human travel (walking/biking) would be a big help*, or just more time/space/money/comfort/motivation(s)** (alternatively: if healthy options were more of a norm/incentive rather than a lucrative market to chase) which is even less likely than changes to zoning/density and infrastructure.

In any case sure, improving someone’s life in 1 aspect will provide benefits… but is anyone actually going to help with that or is it going to just result in more of the same platitudes that are already heard? I don’t think any study has much chance to create policy in the USA any decade soon.

*=That’s from experience… I’m in a semi-rural area, started biking right before the trail closed for renovation ~6months ago. Still closed, no ETA other than “early 2024”.

**=Aside from health/personal/travel reasons, maybe it’s for a hobby. Getting something out of the activity (money, electric, usable mechanical energy) would be nice if it weren’t a problem of cost/storage/loss/logistics etc.

EDIT: And I should say Bowling Alone is in force here too, but again money is probably a big part of that too.