• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    105 months ago

Yup, I’ve started working out specifically so getting older sucks less.

• @ReluctantMuskrat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      105 months ago

It’s truer than most realize.

Decided to start lifting at age 47 because I was depressed with work, expecting to be laid off, and needed something positive in my life. A few months in I realize my back no longer hurts while sleeping. I’m not waking up in the morning aching. Here I thought I was hurting just because I was getting old when the reality was I was hurting because I was weak. I was dealing with back pain for several years unnecessarily.

I can do nothing and suffer, or I can suffer a little under the bar and feel great. Either way I suffer but the latter suffering is so much better.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        65 months ago

I’m convinced that a rather large portion of lower back pain is from atrophied hamstrings.

• kamenLady.
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

Same with me. It was the realization how shitty it would be getting old the way i was living. It’s working out so far, me and the getting older part.

What still sucks when reaching a certain age, is how fast muscles just vanish, after a few days without working out. Like, if you get sick, you can’t workout and after a week in bed, you’ll probably still be weak from being sick and working out is a tee bit harder to get going again.

Getting really old, brings more time being sick and i wonder, when the final workout timeout doesn’t let you exercise anymore and that’s it.