• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    185 months ago

Since suffering is the whole point of the death penalty, I’m betting mask.

Or they just straight up use CO2 instead.

• AggressivelyPassive
      link
      fedilink
      135 months ago

I honestly can’t understand what is going on over there. Killing people with nitrogen is without question one of the best ways to kill a person. A grow box and a large N² tank are enough. How hard can that be?

I mean, people died by accident in nitrogen atmospheres while happily eating lunch.

• @jmcs@discuss.tchncs.de
        link
        fedilink
        15 months ago

There’s a big difference between asphyxiating with nitrogen by accident and knowingly knowing you’re being asphyxiated. Accidental asphyxiation is only peaceful because people don’t know it’s happening.

• AggressivelyPassive
          link
          fedilink
          155 months ago

The point is, that you don’t notice it. Your body lacks fast oxygen sensors, as long as you can breathe off CO2, you won’t feel anything, maybe a bit tingly.

That’s not to say it’s “nice”, an execution is inevitably extremely stressful, but that’s kind of inevitable if you want the whole “witness” charade.

• Cogency
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

A pulmonologist in another thread said that was based on bad science. That the body can’t hit hypoxia fast enough to not trigger the suffocation response, because they are holding their breathe up to that point. That’s kind of a big deal if true.

• AggressivelyPassive
              link
              fedilink
              25 months ago

Even if that’s true, how long can you hold your breath? Under stress. 2min? Then you’ll breathe again, get rid of CO2 and you’re done.

Again, I’m not advocating for death penalty, but if you’re determined to kill someone, nitrogen is definitely one of the best ways.

• Cogency
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                5 months ago

What they were saying is, is that’s not enough time for the nitrogen to displace the co2 in their lungs for the peaceful part to happen. It’s not hypoxia that they die from its the suffocation.

• AggressivelyPassive
                  link
                  fedilink
                  35 months ago

CO2 isn’t “replaced”, it’s getting breathed away like in a normal atmosphere. The atmosphere is 70% nitrogen, it’s not like it’s a toxic gas.

• Cogency
                    link
                    fedilink
                    edit-2
                    5 months ago

The fact that you don’t understand displacement of lung (and bloodstream) gas content tells me you don’t have enough of a medical background to understand wtf you are talking about.

• Philo
      link
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Removed by mod