• @EisFrei@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      175 months ago

Where do you get your numbers?

CDC states about 28 deaths per year by lightning strike. https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/lightning/victimdata/infographic.html

22 deaths can be attributed to the shooting in Uvalde alone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

“There’s been an on-campus shooting ‘pretty much every single school day’ this fall, the founder of the K-12 School Shooting Database said.” https://www.k12dive.com/news/2022-worst-year-for-school-shootings/639313/

• @RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

“You’re more likely to be killed by a hippo in Africa than you are by a school shooting in the US”.

The comparison is made up because it’s convenient. They might as well have compared school shootings to worldwide hippopotamus attacks (~500 year), it’s every bit as pointless.

• Yeah yeah yeah, I get it. You’re fine with the death and suffering so you can enjoy your guns. You don’t want to hear about those people being killed either. You want to be sheltered from the consequences of your hobby.

• @Allero@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

Uhm, gangs killing people is certainly already very much illegal?..how do you plan to dissolve the problem at its root by legislation, exactly?

And how many lives are saved by guns vs taken away by said guns? There’s a reason almost every single country on planet Earth has decided to outlaw firearms for self-defence.

If we want to reduce violence and save lives, we not only need to work with the problem at its core - it’s essential, but not enough and doesn’t deliver the results you dream of - we should also remove the means by which said violence is executed as much as possible to curb violence now.

Your “right to self-defense” is paid by lives of people who were shot with legally purchased guns in a criminal attack. Everyone carrying guns, overall, does not make country safer, which is a thing just about everyone realized like almost a century ago.

• @RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I’ve seen this BS statement popping up on gun sites. Just another bullshit comparison made up to minimize a problem. Funny how they limit it just to schools as an arbitrary limit while ignoring things like workplace shootings or terrorist attacks like the shooters at concerts or clubs.

All shootings of uninvolved, random people.

And the principle of the comparison is stupid. You go out to play golf knowing there is bad weather and elect not to take suitable shelter vs a teacher in a location that should never see violence. E: more apt comparison: how many people are killed in school classrooms by lightning? That’s how absurd it is.

• @some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

Hey, there were thunderstorms in my classrooms when I was a kid. Stop picking on this piece of shit apologist. I was struck by lightning twelve times and have yet to be shot. Asshole’s logic checks out.

• Yeah, we’ve already covered that you don’t like hearing about the consequences of your hobby, keep it up and I’ll call you a “snowflake”.

No, most deaths by gun are suicides. Nearly 60%. Gang homocide only accounts for ~30% of gun deaths. The rest are non-gang, police, accident, or defense.

Media doesn’t want to talk about gang violence? Don’t know what planet you’re on, but local news always mentions whether or not the shooting was likely gang related.

I’m tired of this conversation. You plainly are willing to sacrifice anyone else or butwhatabout any other subject in order to avoid dealing with the reality of guns in this country. IDGAF about your “right” when you treat it irresponsibly enough that infringes on others’ right to life. And I say that as a gun owner. You sick guns-at-any-price morons have done more to destroy a fun pastime than anything I can imagine.

• @doctorcrimson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      65 months ago

Wow, thanks, I feel so reassured now that I know that one of the most common, terrifying, and harmful acts of nature recorded in human history only causes slightly more damage than school shootings, without accounting for the age demographic of the victims of either.

• @doctorcrimson@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          15 months ago

I’ve seen lightning strikes twice this week and most of the time I’m not even looking. If I lived in a higher elevation I’d probably see more strikes than school shootings in the USA.