Hey everyone,

I am exploring switching over to Linux but I would like to know why people switch. I have Windows 11 rn.

I dont do much code but will be doing some for school. I work remote and go to school remote. My career is not TOO technical.

What benefits caused you to switch over and what surprised you when you made the switch?

Thank you all in advanced.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    61 year ago

Windows became unusable for me. Forced updates, unremovable adware, resetting user preferences, and shockingly stability.

I mostly game and tinker on my PC and for the most part everything’s just works these days. Sometimes I run into a game that has poor performance or something I need to tweak. But truth be told that was not unusual in windows either. I would frequently need to mess with ini’s and config files in games to make them work right or have FOV not designed for consoles.

Linux is not perfect but windows is also not perfect the big difference is your used to it’s quirks and the methods to fix them. If you use Linux enough and long enough you will get the same sort of skills.

There are a small list of programs I can’t replace like fusion360, Photoshop, and Visio.

If those Gimp is good enough to replace Photoshop for most my tasks but not always.