edit-2
    4 months ago

Removed by mod

• @KoboldOfArtifice@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      314 months ago

You seem to be implying that fusion is a gimmick of an idea by comparing it to Hyperloop which was nothing but that.

Fusion is a mechanism which has been providing humanity with energy from the first moments in the form of the sun. It’s a well known functional form of energy generation. The struggle isn’t whether or not it could possibly work, but just to make it practical enough to make it work.

This isn’t even necessarily about a single company promising that they have an idea that may work, this is an example of it functioning in some capacity.

Your comparison is simply arbitrary.

• Philo
        link
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Removed by mod

• @KoboldOfArtifice@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I didn’t miss it, I just didn’t search through your comment history to find your own arguments for you. Consider editing the actual top level comment if you want to use these arguments without retyping them.

• Philo
            link
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Removed by mod

• @intensely_human@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              54 months ago

Nobody’s at work here.

To me it’s not so much about it being your job, as the fact you aren’t willing to just say it again indicates you don’t really enjoy this topic.

• @theherk@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          134 months ago

What in tarnation? You literally did no such thing in this thread. You expect people to go find your comments?

• Philo
            link
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Removed by mod

• @dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      244 months ago

It was doomed from the beginning, but it was just meant to delay or supercede the HSR proposal in California. But what does that have to do with this post?

• Philo
        link
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Removed by mod

• @HandBreadedTools@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          184 months ago

Ehhhh, not really. This is a pretty common belief about the Hyperloop. A couple of years ago, someone released a book claiming they had private interviews with Musk back in the early 2010’s where he admitted to trying to delay HSR. Here’s an article explaining it: https://jalopnik.com/did-musk-propose-hyperloop-to-stop-california-high-spee-1849402460

The reason this is not conspiratorial thinking is that automakers have a long history in the US of dismantling, lobbying against, and even physically preventing railways from being developed. Elon Musk, especially at that time, was an automaker making claims in order to directly counter proposed high speed rail.

Yes, it was in California, but the intended reasoning is that if it succeeds in California it may be expanded upon elsewhere, meaning there would be less reliance on cars.

• Philo
            link
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Removed by mod

• @HandBreadedTools@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              94 months ago

I’m not making the claim myself, just explaining it is a bit different than engaging in what we colloquially understand to be conspiratorial thinking. I would argue it falls under that category in the most broad, objective sense, but I would also argue that the common belief about conspiratorial thinking is that it is when someone believes demonstrably false information.

The difference is that most conspiratorial thinking is believing something despite overwhelming evidence of the contrary while this situation is believing something despite a lack of conclusive, objective evidence (that being no official statement from Musk or investigation into him about this). There is a lack of overwhelming evidence in support of Musk.