• @Krzak
    link
    65 months ago

I feel like sewing belongs here. And cooking, at least to some degree.

• jadero
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

Sewing for sure, especially machine sewing. I feel like I’ve got as much time invested in fighting and maintaining our sewing machines as in our Windows machines. 😛

And then there’s that whole transition between pattern (spec) and outcome that is oddly reminiscent of far too many of my software projects!

• @waz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

Curiously, what sort of fights do you have with your sewing machine? I just started getting into sewing a couple months ago. I’m currently using a borrowed machine and haven’t had any major issues yet. I was hoping to buy my own soon and wanted to know if there were specific features that commonly cause problems.

• jadero
          link
          fedilink
          35 months ago

Tension. Always tension. My mom had the same battles. My aunt never had trouble.

I suspect that buying a new mid-grade machine or better from a reputable dealer is the secret. I’ve bought a couple of $50 used machines because I don’t want to spend 10 times that or more if it turns out that I’m not going to actually use it. I already do enough of that. 😀

Go find a sewing club and get their advice. That’s what I’m doing the next time the bug bites.

• @waz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            24 months ago

Since my last comment, I learned that my local library has a few machines and a serger that you can reserve time on. I think that is going to be how I avoid buying my own for a while, and possibly a social setting I may learn from others.

• jadero
              link
              fedilink
              14 months ago

That sounds ideal. Machines that are mostly maintained by experienced people and a community to help you gain experience.