• @DashboTreeFrog
    link
    English
    434 months ago

Somehow I think Podcasts will survive enshittification. The basis is just RSS and file hosting, so at its core, it’s possible to create and distribute podcasts without huge capital investment. There’s always gonna be some people trying to get their voices out and Podcasts still seems to be the easiest way to do that so until some better method comes out, podcasts will live on.

If you’re talking about Podcast networks, streaming services, ad networks, then yeah, those might face some kind of enshittification and destruction, but no matter what, I’m pretty confident some good podcasts, and some good ways to listen to them, will stick around.

• Gamma
      link
      fedilink
      English
      184 months ago

Despite Spotify’s best efforts 🥲

• Big P
        link
        fedilink
        English
        94 months ago

Thankfully Spotify’s podcast platform still supplies RSS for most podcasts. The only exclusive podcast I listen to got so much backlash they had to make it non exclusive again

• Gamma
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Which was that? Afaik heaveyweight still has one season exclusive to the platform

• Big P
            link
            fedilink
            English
            34 months ago

It’s a podcast called Parenting Hell

• @blindsight@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              14 months ago

So good. I love British panel shows and I’m a parent of young kids. It’s one of my most-listened-to podcasts in the last 4 years.

Didn’t realize it ever went Spotify exclusive. That must have been between my binge sessions; I’ve only listened (on Podcast Addict) to a small fraction of what my wife listens to (on Spotify).

• @DashboTreeFrog
        link
        English
        74 months ago

Truth. I was genuinely angry seeing how Spotify kept trying to buy up everything podcast related. Felt like I was screaming into the void about how platform exclusive podcasts are antithetical to the free and open nature of podcasts. I hope their billions of dollars invested into podcasts continue to bite them in the butts.