President Joe Biden called out Republicans in Congress as “the party of chaos and division” and said they are “worse” than Strom Thurmond, a former South Carolina senator who ran for president as a segregationist in 1948.

“I’ve been a senator since ‘72. I’ve served with real racists. I’ve served with Strom Thurmond. I’ve served with all these guys that have set terrible records on race. But guess what? These guys are worse. These guys do not believe in basic democratic principles,” Biden said at a fundraiser in San Francisco on Wednesday, according to the pool traveling with him. “Time and again Republicans show they are the party of chaos and division.”

Biden’s comments come as Republicans in Congress are holding still a foreign aid package that would send aid to Ukraine and Israel. The $95.3 billion foreign aid bill, which was passed by the Senate last week, still faces a showdown in the House as House Speaker Mike Johnson has told his House Republican Conference members that he is not rushing to respond to the bill.

• @Rooskie91
    link
    644 months ago

It would be nice if we had more to celebrate than what amounts to sick burns.

• @protist@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        84 months ago

That article makes me like Biden even more. There’s something to be said for someone who can respect all people and maintain his value set over his entire life.

Biden also disclosed his preference for persons over principles. Not that Biden has no principles. But he is loath to let his principles get in the way of personal connections. No amount of historical baggage was going to keep him from forming a bond with a colleague — and in Biden’s telling, Thurmond repaid that bond by standing with Biden through an episode of political peril.

Also on display in the pulpit of First Baptist Church that day was Biden’s view of politics as a two-way street, a marketplace of needs and favors in which participants can all benefit from the free exchange of chits. Except on Election Day, Biden is a “win-win” kind of guy. The “Northeast liberal” fully understood that his eulogy was a Thurmond power play from beyond the grave; the old coot turned to Biden for a fresh coat of paint on the historical record. But Biden benefited, too, from his prominent appearance as a national healer.

• Uhhh, no. Segregationists don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt whatsoever. You can’t be a good person and simultaneously fight against people’s basic human rights. Those are two completely contradictory points.

Fuck Strom and fuck Biden.

• @protist@mander.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            24 months ago

Strom Thurmond changed his mind about race relations over time. Do you think that would’ve happened if Biden threw up his hands and said “fuck this guy”? He relentlessly went back to Thurmond with unconditional positive regard and advocated for a better world, and that’s how you make a difference, not your black or white dismissive bullshit. What even is your goal if not trying to change minds and build more equitable institutions?

• @SphereofWreckening@ttrpg.network
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              4 months ago

Well I’m glad he changed his mind as soon as he had no power to do anything about it. Meanwhile he spent 24 hours fillibustering in favor of segregation. So yeah: fuck that guy and Biden for acting like he’s done any good. Harmful actions remain even if you change your mind.

My goal is to listen to people and allow them basic human rights. Especially when I have the political power to grant it like Strom once did. It’s not hard at all believe it or not.

• @protist@mander.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                English
                -14 months ago

Dude, I’m not defending Strom Thurmond in any way. I’m defending Biden treating him with respect. If you had political power, you’d realize building relationships is one of the primary mechanisms through which you get what you believe in accomplished. I bet you dismiss Lyndon Johnson out of hand the same way you do Joe Biden. Smh

• You’re damn right Lyndon Johnson can fuck himself. In fact Johnson can fuck himself even harder than Biden by most accounts. Vietnam was an absolute disaster for everyone involved, and that dumb shit is one of the primary reasons the US got involved and massacred a ton of innocent people.

And I don’t care who you’re defending or not. No part of what I believe in involves segregation/constant war crimes whatsoever. And there should be no respect given to anyone espousing or condoning such beliefs. They lost any ounce of respect they might gain as soon as they started their racist dehumanizing bullshit. The world was a better place after Strom died. The world was a better place after Johnson died.

• @protist@mander.xyz
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    -14 months ago

Fuck Medicare and Medicaid, right? Fuck civil rights, voting rights, food stamps, the clean water and clean air acts, PBS, NPR, and the NTSB, right? Let me guess, you would’ve voted third party and see no difference between Johnson and Goldwater