I have been playing (just for fun) for about 15 years. During which I have tried countless different types of guitar picks.

Recently I’m gravitating towards really thick picks, like the well-known Jazz III or Big Stubby 3.0mm. I’ve noticed I can play fast alternate picking and triplets much easier with these.

What types of picks do you use, and why?

• @biffnix
    link
    English
    21 year ago

I’ve used so many picks over the years, but fairly recently, I’ve switched to the 1.5mm Classic Standard pick from Gravity Picks.

I bought a GHS Pedal (the Bonsai), and they shipped a Gravity unpolished standard pick with it. For some reason, I used it on whim, and I was hooked. I ended up buying custom picks from them, and always the Classic Standard 1.5mm unpolished. There’s something about the unpolished edge which gives me just enough bite, on either my acoustics or electrics.

Of course, as I’ve gotten older, I no longer like particularly flexible picks, which I used to favor as a younger player. As my picking technique has improved, I’ve found that non-flexible picks just work better for me, and the tone I like. And Gravity Picks just give me that. If you haven’t used them before, they’re worth trying, if you like thicker, less flexible picks.

Yes, they’re expensive. But, so worth it. Well, works for me, anyway. Cheers.