Are we there yet?

• jgrim of SublinksA
    link
    English
    51 year ago

I tried that… didn’t work.

This was my latest attempt

There are instances with communities (Reddits with subreddits).

If one or more instances links up, they can share those communities. This is done by the instance federating and copying down the data from the other instance and then working with that instance to stay in sync.
 Examples:
A->All the instances run this. But one is the data master; they all report back when a change is made in their instance. C->Only red is interacting with this community D->Only Red & Yellow interact with this community. latest attempt

I admit the graph needs more work, but it’s a wip… just like lemmy :)

• polygon
      link
      fedilink
      English
      81 year ago

You’re making it complicated. For us oldies who lived on IRC back in the day it all seems pretty simple.

Bunch of different servers connected together where everyone can talk to each other no matter which server they’re connected to. In Lemmy’s case, the channels are hosted on various servers, but anyone on the network can talk in those channels regardless of where they’re physically located. With IRC you’d just connect to the server that was the fastest based on your location. With Lemmy/kbin, you connect to the one that is the most stable for you, or you like the name, or UI, or whatever (I prefer kbin). But once you’re on one there is no functional difference to the content because they’re all on the same network (ActivityPub).

You don’t need to explain the details of Federation to get people to understand what it is and how it works. Where any specific community is physically hosted has no real meaning when anyone can access it from any instance. Just like IRC, being in the US and speaking with someone in Australia, we’re obviously on different servers but that has no meaning when the content (chat) is the same through both.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        English
        31 year ago

That wouldn’t work for my friends. You assume I’m talking to smart people :)

IRC is still very much thriving! Just like HAM.

• SirD_P
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 year ago

haven’t left, see no need to… and it’s still the place where all the techies hang who are passionate about any project (from Operating Systems to coding languages) … works perfectly using any terminal emulator of ones choice and an abundance of scripts to choose from if one so chooses

• SirD_P
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 year ago

For us oldies who lived on IRC back in the day

what do you mean “lived” 😁 …but I share your view…keep it simple (it’s really not that complicated)… the UI/UX needs polish and there’s functionality lacking but hey, its early days so peeps have to be a little patient

• scyrp
      link
      fedilink
      English
      71 year ago

I just tell people that each instance is like a country and users are able to move and interact with each other. Some countries revoke passport rights to/from other countries.

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        English
        31 year ago

That’s genius; I love it! I’m going to start using that one. Thanks!

• @Wahots@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Ahhh, this explains why I can’t get to some subs/communities more easily. I had to create an alt to get to them :P

• @1stTime4MeInMCU@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Maybe some graphic design oriented person can make a slick explainer video lol… but somehow I don’t see grandma signing up anytime soon

• jgrim of SublinksA
        link
        English
        41 year ago

That’s what ruined it before… it got to corporate and clean. I like it messy.