• @delirious_owl
    link
    24 months ago

You have bikes and busses. Everyone does.

Of course the increase tax on carbon would directly fund giving poor people free bus tickets and bicycle maintenance

• @Mac@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      84 months ago

Bikes and buses are great if you go from one central location to another central location.

Do you know how long bus routes are in rural counties? Imagine the logistics of trying to collect all the adults that want to get to work.

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        94 months ago

Imagine the logistics of trying to collect all the adults that want to get to work.

we do pretty much this in my country

• @SinJab0n@mujico.org
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Im gonna say something completely resonable and yet sound like a crazy person cause u lot love cars so much.

TRAINS, u can make it like the ones in the rural areas of germany which works almost like a bus.

Shit, i live in a god damn 3rd world country and i can’t belive we have better public transport than u.

• @Omgpwnies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      54 months ago

I live in a city that has ‘good’ transit by North American standards. It’s 25km from my house to the office, and takes about half an hour to drive. If I were to take the supposedly ‘good’ transit, it would take 2 hours each way. That would mean that both my spouse and I would leave home before our kids even wake up, so they would have to manage getting themselves out of bed, fed, and off to school with no parent in the house, we would get home far too late to take them to any extracurricular activities, never mind making sure they eat healthy home cooked meals. I could move closer to the office, but then my COL would increase by 2-3X, meaning that all the good stuff I can afford for them now would become too expensive.

So sure, I have transit, but it’s fucking useless.

• @LoamImprovement@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I live in rural Washington state. The nearest bus station from where I work is a two mile walk. The nearest bus station from where I live is a three mile walk. I live twenty miles from where I work. Biking and Bussing simply aren’t feasible.

I like bikes and busses. We don’t need bikes and busses to solve this problem, we need telecommuting and walkable communities.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        54 months ago

I dont see how you can be so obtuse.

If gas was just $6/hr then there would be a ton of demand for busses. So the bus routes would expand to all the people in your area. And it would be easy to fund because the rich would be subsidizing it.

• queermunist she/her
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          4 months ago

They’d rather just leave you to suffer in poverty paying $6/gal, neither telecommuting nor busses.

Market solutions don’t work. We need to do this by force.

• @Mac@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          34 months ago

You started this chain claiming an unreasonable $20 minimum.
          Now you’re calling people obtuse? Lmao

• @delirious_owl
            link
            44 months ago

Yeah we should definitely be at $20 by now. Carbon taxing should have started increasing in the 1980s

• @kboy101222@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      44 months ago

To get to my job it would require several miles of biking followed by an hour bus trip. We don’t just “all have” the ability to take busses and bikes everywhere. Plus during none of that time do I have access to a bike lane, so I’d be just praying I don’t get run over by some dick head