• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    154 months ago

I predict there will be a few companies that pop up to refurbish the hardware and sell it as a thin client solution. Places like call centers live on refurb equipment and are moving to a vdi infrastructure.

• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

W11 and anything after it simply does not support any intel cpu before 10th gen, or (with a handful of exceptions) any AMD cpu before the 3000 series.

Edit: serious question: are W12 thin clients allowed to not have a TPM module? Or does that not actually matter for a thin client? I had assumed all machines involved had to have that capability, be it host or client.

E2: clearly I need to learn more about thin clients and related infra

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
          link
          edit-2
          4 months ago

A thin client is basically like a smart TV.

It might have some basic apps on it, but it’s main purpose is to remotely connect to either a storefront or desktop environment that’s being provided by some sort of VDI infrastructure. The OS can easily be a stripped down Linux image.

This is beneficial for businesses because you only have to upgrade your servers instead of hundreds or thousands of desktops.

It’s also beneficial from a security standpoint because you can deliver only what’s needed for the job.

Source: I built and maintained a Citrix VDI environment for a multinational company. We mostly used Zero clients, which were basically Pis that could log into Citrix, but we had some departments that had to use thin clients for various reasons.