• @page
    link
    edit-2
    3 months ago

What an absolute shit show. Why SpaceX isn’t getting raked over the coals for not being able to even maintain control on reentry is insane. That is like the least difficult challenge they face in getting Starship to work and they failed spectacularly. Not to even mention losing tiles that high up in the atmosphere.

My bet is that, just like with Falcon 9, Starship will become expendable with first stage reuse. They’ll continue to pump out Starlink for their primary customers, governments, and Musk will eventually talk himself into securities and espionage charges. At which point sober responsible adults will take over SpaceX and drop his pet project that is costing them billions. Raptor may or may not be repurposed.

/rant

Cool video though

• @cAUzapNEAGLb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      83 months ago

There is no part of space travel that is easy. Do not so easily dismiss the challenge. Nor demean the progress SpaceX has made to solving those challenges. The starship has no near-peer competitor.

This test got further than the prior test and nothing unexpected was lost.

I’m no fan of Musk, and I’m not a big fan of SpaceX, but credit where credit is due, they are bringing progress and leading an industry that was once very stagnant.

• LazaroFilmOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      33 months ago

I very much disagree with you. SpaceX has a completely different approach than NASA. NASA plans everything ahead and the first flight is expected to work flawlessly. That takes years and years of preparation. While SpaceX sends half finished prototypes knowing they will not finish their journey. The then iterate to fix the issues they discovered on the previous iteration. This was how they worked on the Falcons as well. Remember how they even started sending satellites on commercial flights as well as Starlinks before they were even able to safely land a booster? They knew their vehicle was able to reach orbit (from the many previous attempts and failures) and were still figuring out landing while they were using them.

• @page
        link
        -13 months ago

You do remember that they signed a contract with NASA to have a lunar lander ready this year, right? A lander that requires more than a few launches and reuse of both the first stage and tanker Starships?

These launches are less about iteration than they are marketing. They are burning money and need to maintain interest in their magic Starship. They need just as many years as NASA and they need NASA’s money. The difference is, SpaceX have not demonstrated they can achieve their technical goals and they gloss over all the challenges while at the same time they waste money and Raptor engines on these publicity flights.

Remember, Falcon 9 was earning them money while they experimented with landing. And they hyped up its capabilities and cost before eventually under delivering. Starship will be different in that it may not even male them money.

• LazaroFilmOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          13 months ago

They may not have a lunar lander this year but they are making strides towards it. I it’s current state, it seems Starship is already apt to perform Starlink V2 (non mini version) launches since the launch worked up to that point without issues. The landing only matters to bring people back. We’ll get there in time. All that matters for now is getting to send that school but into space. If you can’t understand that then I’m sorry.

• @dirtbiker509@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      23 months ago

The primary mission was a successful orbital trajectory, the secondary mission was a fuel transfer experiment. For the transfer experiment they had vent the hot gas to get starship rotating for the transfer. They ran out of hot gas which is fine, the trajectory was already set for re-entry. There was literally no risk here and it all went exactly as planned.