Just saw on TV news that people are still watching VHS movies. Then found this article. Is this you?

• @delirious_owl
    link
    English
    74 months ago

God no.DVDs 640x480 is bad enough. I like to be able to actually see what I’m watching.

Thus isn’t an attack on analog, but vhs is legit a terrible analog quality

• @wjrii@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Agreed, I don’t get this at all. Usually you can find some benefit to the analog format or luddite tech that makes it worth the hassle beyond pure personal nostalgia:

Vinyl sounds lovely in a certain way, and a pristine record on an excellent setup can even exceed digital quality.

Fountain pens require no pressure, are customizable in half a dozen ways, and can be quite nice objects in their own right.

Film can be similar to vinyl in having the potential for excellent quality, and generations of filmmakers hand crafted their works for the medium.

VHS looks bad, sounds bad, inspired no one & moved the art of filmmaking nowhere, deteriorates rapidly, has to be rewound, and has no efficient means of skipping to certain scenes. It’s awful, and I was deliriously happy to replace cassettes with DVDs. I guess the engineering around getting magnetic reel-to-reel tape into a somewhat user-friendly and cost-effective cassette is kinda cool… until it’s not.