• @lemmywinks
    link
    -533 months ago

The people “ranting about cancel culture” are not the generalized group “Christians.” What can you do though? Lemmy fully embraces hate against Christians.

• catsarebadpeople
      link
      fedilink
      533 months ago

Yeah Christians are so persecuted. I feel so bad for them. Good thing you’re here to defend them or they wouldn’t be that most powerful group in the country.

• @lemmywinks
        link
        -373 months ago

Your response makes no sense, I never said they were. I said this meme is inaccurate and that Lemmy embraces hate against Christians.

• catsarebadpeople
          link
          fedilink
          383 months ago

Ok I’ll spell it out for you instead of joking around then. This meme is incredibly accurate. There has been nothing in human history that has caused more pain and harm than religion and Christianity is the worst offender. It absolutely deserves critique and you’re being unreasonable for saying that Lemmy is wrong for doing so.

• @lemmywinks
            link
            -273 months ago

Delusional. Also Lemmy doesn’t criticize religion, it just promotes hatred for Christianity in the general sense. If the same memes were posted about Muslims moderators would remove them.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              193 months ago

I actually agree with you that Islam is equal levels of shit compared to Christianity. “Islamophobia” is a bullshit word that I’m still confused why it exists. Of course people are afraid of Islam lmao.

Still though, the death tolls thanks to both religions are so high you can’t even find estimates. Who knows which one killed more millions of people.

• @Socsa@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                -13 months ago

Yeah, the fact that parts of Lemmy actually seems to embrace radical Idlam because it “fights the west” is pretty uncomfortable.

• catsarebadpeople
              link
              fedilink
              183 months ago

There you go again pretending that Christianity is being oppressed when: 1) it’s not and 2) it deserves to be so even if you weren’t full of shit it would be appropriate

• Flying Squid
              link
              fedilink
              33 months ago

Hi, Jew here. You have no fucking idea what hatred means. Oh boo hoo, people were mean to your religion on the Internet.

I’m guessing no one ever kicked the shit out of you personally because you were a Christian. I wish I could say the same.

I’ll leave it to you to guess what religion the people who have done that to me adhered to. Hint: Not Islam, Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Baha’i, Wicca, Unitarian Universalism or any traditional indigenous religions.

• @nexguy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          133 months ago

Hate isn’t canceling. If people were shutting down churches or demonizing random church goers for being church goers you’d be right… but they aren’t.

• @TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      163 months ago

Don’t like the fact that you belong to a group known for being shitty? Clean your fucking house or leave the group. Don’t tell us they don’t belong in your group. Tell them.

• @asexualchangeling@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        73 months ago

But if all the horrible people left Christianity, they wouldn’t be the dominant religion anymore, and they can’t have that!

• Queue
      link
      fedilink
      English
      153 months ago

Yeah they’re just the loudest and proudest people who wear crosses around their neck and only vote for other people who are loud and proud of their Christian love wanting to ban anything remotely “sinful.” Everyone knows that Christians are the most oppressed in the West! Truly no one knows how hard it is to be a follower of the majority belief, and never need to defend it from the state.

Also here’s a brief list of things Christians tried to cancel in the United States: Comic books, rock and roll, jazz, dungeons and dragons, magic the gathering, radio, television, other forms of Christianity, anything remotely queer, Italians, Irish, Chinese, Jews, abolitionists, civil rights marchers, feminists…

And here’s the entire list of times Christians were oppressed by laws pushed by non-Christian groups/state actors in the United States and the West in general:

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        -43 months ago

Truly no one knows how hard it is to be a follower of the majority belief

That’s the thing, it is the majority belief (well over 50% of the population) and yet the draconian over reach you are complaining about does not have the support of nearly 50% of the population. Therefore there must be a large number of Christians that are also against it. They are on your side. I don’t know why you are trying so hard to insist they are your enemy.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      153 months ago

Why shouldn’t I hate Christians? Or Muslims? They cause nothing but pain in this world

• @rab@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          73 months ago

Yeah that’s fair. I still don’t like to get very close to religious people though just due to past trauma in my life.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                -43 months ago

The lie the new atheist movement led everyone to believe was that religion is the problem, and that when we get rid of religion then everyone will be happy and get along. America is the furthest from religion it has been in its history, are things going great?

• @Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  33 months ago

On issues motivated by religion, yes, America is moving in the right direction. LGBT acceptance, reproductive rights, etc.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    -23 months ago

The whole culture is influenced by religion, its not just paticular issues. I would argue that america is literally falling apart right now, and we are in for some serious issues. I understand that much of it can be associated to other things, but I think much of it has to do with loss of purpose and morals.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          03 months ago

Probably not possible to accurately know. Death tolls from all major offenders in the millions

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            -83 months ago

Yeah exactly. If you look at the top bad guys of last century, the names that will roll into your head should be; stalin, mao, hitler, pol pot. And what you will notice as none of those guys had a paticular religion and were maybe even anti religion. So the idea that religion is the thing that causes the harm doesnt make any sense.

• @EndlessApollo@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  23 months ago

Hey look, Christians conveniently claiming that Christians they don’t like aren’t really Christian!

I really need to learn some slurs for Christians and start using them more

• @Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 months ago

In the private Tabletalk interviews Hitler talked about his deep Christian beliefs, which he had always talked about publicly. He wanted to create a German National Christian church in the same model that England has its own national Christian Church with the King as the head. (Anglicans).

If Hitler wasn’t Christian, then British Anglicans (the majority of all Christians in Britain and North Ireland) aren’t Christian either.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    13 months ago

If he wanted to create a national “church” then it would have been a church to use as a tool/organization, and he was still not a christian. Which would still be the attempted destruction of the church.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              63 months ago

Christianity has killed way more than those individuals could ever dream of

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  63 months ago

What about two commandments for cheating on your wife? A greater sin than murder lol

It only exists to control people

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    -83 months ago

I will tell you this once because I feel like I am going to waste my time, but maybe it will stick. Christianity has a bunch of rules, and it has nothing to do with controlling people, it has to do with the best functioning society and what is actually good for people. It is the reason why western civilization has done so well for so many centuries. Things like cheating on your wife is bad for society and for the individuals, that is why it is prohibited. My comment is an outside observation of what the religion of christianity does, other religions have different features.

• @lemmywinks
        link
        -253 months ago

Christians and religious people in general make up a substantial portion of charitable work around the work. So I think that easily disproves your claim that they cause nothing but pain.

Really your statement just comes across as childish and uninformed probably because of the large amount of propaganda you consume from places like this.

Why shouldn’t you hate 55%+ of the world? Do you really believe more than half the people in the world contribute nothing but pain?

Also why didn’t you include Jews? They’re the root of Abrahamic religion and currently the “Jewish homeland” is engaging in genocide.

It’s just silly but also worrying that you could have such a skewed view of reality.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          3 months ago

I also feel the same about Jews. There aren’t very many religious beliefs I am tolerant of.

Charity and religion have nothing to do with each other btw lol. People can be charitable without being religious.

Christians, for example, are only “charitable” because they are trying to recruit members. Do you have any idea how much wealth is sitting at the top of the catholic church hierarchy?

• @rab@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              3 months ago

You already said it yourself, the majority of the world is religious. The two things aren’t correlated though.

Now google “residential schools” or “the crusades” for example lol

• @lemmywinks
                link
                -203 months ago

Apparently you didn’t read any of the hundreds of studies mentioned there showing religious people are more charitable.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  3 months ago

Yeah to recruit members, it’s just a business.

Ever been to eastern Europe and visited the fancy gold plated cathedrals? Notice who is driving the new Mercedes s550 parked in the parking lot, and notice what the church attendees are driving. Charitable my ass.

• @lemmywinks
                    link
                    -113 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do. Your claim is easily proven false, it doesn’t matter if you can’t accept that.

• @pop@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  63 months ago

my brother in hell, if I believed in religion, and my religion says giving some amount to it or someone else gets me express pass to heaven, i’d be donating like crazy too. I’d be donating more if I know I’ve done horrible things and need more “blessing.”

The charity doesn’t negate the bad things religion has done.

• @gdog05@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                73 months ago

If Christians didn’t hamstring non -Christian groups and government services at every turn, there would be no need for these charities and/or the most popular charities would not be the ones feeding bibles to starving people.

• @cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  53 months ago

I dont mind Christians being charitable. I do oppose them using it to recruits or to pressure people in need to listen to their preachings. That’s not charity that is exploitation. True charity wants nothing in return.

• @ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          63 months ago

Religious charity work is a recruitment tactic. It exploits the vulnerable, converts them into religious people and voters. And by voting for the right, they’ll contribute to the rotting of the very same social services that churches exploit.

I work as a desk clerk in a Hungarian social institution, and the people that should be responsible for mental health instead more preoccupied with converting people to some form of christianity, all while we supposed to be “secular” on paper.

Religion and austerity are good friends.