Is this some sort of remnant of evangelical puritan protestant ideology?

I don’t understaun this.

If you ask me, it’d make as much sense as Orthodox and Christians… or Shia and Muslim…

I know not all Christians are Catholics but for feck’s sake…

They’re all Christians to me…

Edit:

It’s a U.S thing but this is the sort of things I hear…

https://www.gotquestions.org/Catholic-Christian.html

I am a Catholic. Why should I consider becoming a Christian?

I now know more distinctions (apparently Catholicism requires duty and salvation is process, unlike Protestantism?) but I still think they’re of a similar branch (Christianity) so I just wonder the social factor

• @OmgItBurns
    link
    English
    82 months ago

I grew up going to various Christian schools as a kid. While it wasn’t a common viewpoint, I did hear of it from time to time.

The reason behind it, to my knowledge, was that Catholic practices would often be significantly different from other denominations’ practices. The biggest thing I can think of is the veneration of and praying to saints.

• @Gabu@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

The biggest thing I can think of is the veneration of and praying to saints.

Which, ironically, is a core part of Abrahamic religions which was abandoned by Protestantism. I.e. Catholicism didn’t add minor gods, Protestantism removed them.

Fun fact: the “-el” at the end of all angel names (except Lucifer and Satan, I guess) means “god”. Not as in “from god”, but as in “the god of-”.

• Maturin [any]
        link
        fedilink
        22 months ago

Genuine question (and I don’t know if you’ve gone down this rabbit hole) but does “el” in the context of Hebrew names refer to the concept of any god generically or was “el” the name of the one monotheistic god (before being combined with the monotheistic god with the other name) and the “els” in the names of the angels meant to be an attachment to the court of the one god in a similar way to “isra-el” being not another god but a kingdom/people bearing the name of the god it served (of course talking about biblical Israel and not the modern state).

• @Gabu@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

The early Abrahamic and general Canaanite religions are super interesting, I absolutely recommend reading on them. Now, considering I’m neither a historian nor a linguistics expert, take anything I say with a grain of salt.
          From my understanding and memory on the subject, “El” was used as the noun “god”, as the name of the Canaanite chief god, who would later be usurped by YHWH, and as a title of sorts, meant to indicate gods and important people supposedly affiliated with the pantheon chieftain. I believe the latter is related to the older Assyrian culture, it certainly follows the same pattern. The first and second cases weren’t widely concurrent, however - there is a clear trace telling us the original pantheon leader lost influence over time before being relegated to “just another god” and finally getting absorbed into the figure of YHWH, a bit like how Odinn slowly faded into the background of Nordic religion as Thor became the figure you’d pray to.

In short: both of your scenarios are right, but at different points in history (except they weren’t monotheistic at first).

• @Gabu@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              2 months ago

I didn’t mean to imply a relation between YHWH and Assyria, but rather link the Assyrian culture of appending god names to important figures’ names and the Canaanite culture of appending “-el” to indicate allegiance.