• @Sir_Kevin
    cake
    link
    English
    31 year ago

I tuned out when she said AI doesn’t create anything new.

• @FringeTheory999@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      41 year ago

right, that’s only true in the actually literally completely true sense. I have a love hate relationship with AI, I use several of them. As far as I’m concerned AI stands for “assets and inspiration” because that’s the only use for it. It can generate royalty free assets to chop up and use in art, and it can help brainstorm ideas if you’re feeling uninspired, but it’s actually really terrible at creating anything new or interesting on it’s own. There’s a difference between art and content. And what AI generates is content. Stuff to fill space. It’s not going to replace novelists any time soon, but if you make your living writing meaningless ad copy that just fills space then your job is in serious trouble. It can’t create art because messaging is a fundamental part of art and AI has nothing to say. Artists and writers do a lot more than just regurgitate their influences and copy patterns. They also have a point to make. When you engage with a piece of art, the artists is trying to say something, make commentary on the world, or evoke a specific emotional response in the audience. There is intention in art, but “AI” in it’s current and likely in it’s future state is incapable of approaching any task with intention. It’s just a machine learning tool spitting out formulaic patterns. It’s great if you want to create 250 stylized variations of the letter “B”, so artists can use AI to speed up their brainstorming phase and thus it can be a useful tool for artists, but it will never create anything new or interesting without a heaping helping of human interference.

AI will be writing shitty superhero movies that fill up space for the next thousand years, because those kinds of movies are just content. Aesthetically pleasing content, but still just content. It’ll never write anything that you haven’t seen a hundred times before.

• @Sir_Kevin
        cake
        link
        English
        21 year ago

I wish I could upvote you multiple times! This is the most accurate and well explained explaination of the current state of things. You nailed it about the assets too.