Over the past year or so I’ve been playing with the idea of a decentralised social platform based on your location. By putting physical location at the centre of the experience, such a platform could be used to bring communities together and provide a source of local information when travelling. Please let me know what you guys think.

• @ericjmorey
    link
    English
    51 month ago

I’d like to see this experiment carried out at a sufficient scale. I feel like there would be a benefit to a gravity like component that takes density and distance into account so that people in sparsely “populated” regions aren’t just effectively seeing an unprioritized feed of the entire network.

• Carl NewtonOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 month ago

I like this! This is an interesting and probably an effective idea for addressing the issue of desolate communities. It does introduce a new issue though. Let’s say for the sake of argument, I created an instance where I lived, and it engulfed the British isles, and then after some time, a new instance was created in Scotland. The posts that were previously made in my (now England) instance that are geographically located in Scotland would need to be transferred to the Scottish instance, because otherwise, they would never be found using the relevant instance finding technique that I’ve described. This doesn’t sound like a terrible technical issue (though probably not an entirely trivial one given that you don’t want to have all of your posts hijacked by a bad actor), but it does sound like a data/privacy issue, in that the users who posted that data have essentially had it transferred to the ownership (and moderation decisions) of somebody else without permission. An interesting thought none the less. I’d prefer the platform to be as simple as possible but if it can’t be picked up due to a lack of interest then that would be a design flaw. On the other hand, I suppose it’ll be in the interest of each owner to foster their own community.