• @Delusion6903
    link
    English
    52 months ago

It would be perfect except that the fingerprint protection includes forcing the screen refresh rate to the lowest common denominator. Scrolling is unbearable.

They need to report whatever number they want while always using the highest rate instead.

• @zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      42 months ago

it’s worth noting that this is the intended behaviour for privacy.resistFingerprinting. this is not exclusive to Mull.

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        12 months ago

I know it’s intended, but I find it unusable. Report what you want, but disconnect from the actual refresh rate. Best of both worlds.

• @zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          32 months ago

I wholly agree with you there, I’m just saying it’s the same behavior on all browsers built on Firefox. true for desktop as well

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        12 months ago

Does Firefox standard fingerprint resistance include the refresh rate? Because I use Firefox over mull on Android because of the drastic difference when scrolling.

• @zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          12 months ago

yes, if you enable resist fingerprinting on any Firefox build it will cap refresh rate to 60hz. Mull is not doing anything special, it’s just changing about:config options by default.

you can disable resist fingerprinting in mull and regain standard refresh rate (although you lose fingerprinting protection) just as you can enable resistFingerprinting in Firefox beta or nightly and see refresh rate cap at 60.

• @Delusion6903
            link
            English
            12 months ago

Ok, that actually sounds encouraging to me. Honestly, on Android Firefox I don’t see the option for resist fingerprinting. I am using Strict Enhanced Tracking protection but that isn’t affecting refresh. What am I missing?

• @zwekihoyy@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              12 months ago

you need to use Firefox beta, nightly, mull, or Fennec F-Droid to access about:config and from there you can search for and enable resistFingerprinting. it’s not an option in the settings.

• @Delusion6903
            link
            English
            12 months ago

Ok, I’ve now had time to check this out. Android Firefox is set to strict Enhanced Tracking Protection which says offers fingerprint protection. If that is capping my refresh rate, then I can’t see it. Scrolling is smooth.

In contrast, Mull is distractingly flashy when scrolling. There is absolutely something different going on here.

• velox_vulnus
      link
      fedilink
      English
      12 months ago

Does this cause heating issues? I’ve noticed this happening to me while using Mull.

• @LWD@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        22 months ago

I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite, although it’s understandable that it’d give off that illusion.

You might experience a lower framerate in apps because your battery is overheating, but intentionally invoking it (like Mull does) will make your device require less processing power and thus less likely to overheat.

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        edit-2
        2 months ago

And that is exactly why I find it unusable. I have a 120 Hz phone slowed down to a hideous 60 Hz. This is why use Firefox instead of mull.