• The Menemen!
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I am not a big Matrix fan, so maybe my knowledge about the films (I saw 1 and 2, both only once) might be too limited. But I completely fail to understand the symbology.

• @undeffeined@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          51 month ago

From what I can remember, the simbolism is stronger in the first movie and not so much on the other two. I recall two key things that can simbolize the struggle trans people go through or are references to transgenderism.

• Neo feels that there is something wrong with the world and that he does not belong in it
          • The Character Switch was originally supposed to be a man in the real world and a woman when plugged in to the matrix.

I’m sure there’s more but it’s been a while since I came across the analysis.

Worth noting that when I watched the movies I never made an association with transgenderism. I think in great part because I was not even aware of it.

• The Menemen!
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            1 month ago

The Character Switch was originally supposed to be a man in the real world and a woman when plugged in to the matrix.

This would have been a clear symbol.

• A bit subtle, especially if you weren’t familiar with medicines at the time, but the blue pill is supposed to represent an antidepressant (Prozac was apparently blue at that time, don’t know about now, and was commonly prescribed to closeted trans women instead of actually addressing the core issue), and the red pill HRT (one of the common hormone pills at the time was red)

Which makes the “redpill” movement extra hilarious.

As said, though, it was really subtle if you knew that and completely opaque if you didn’t

• @delirious_owl
            link
            51 month ago

Thanks. That loads but it doesn’t explain how the film is an allegory for transgender. I’d love to read an analysis of the film that breaks down what scenes mean what through that lens

• @exocrinous@startrek.website
              link
              fedilink
              English
              21 month ago

Neo is a member of an underground movement who doesn’t like using his real name, although it’s the name the authorities insist on using for him. He has a creeping and dreadful sensation that his entire experience of reality is wrong, up until he takes a red pill and learns who he really is. Accepting the truth about himself is difficult, up until he experiences a rebirth and gains mastery of his own perceptual reality.

Everything I just said is a trans thing.

• @undeffeined@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              11 month ago

I see. I watched some video on it a ong time ago so I don’t recall the details. I’m sure you can find something.