• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    232 months ago

It wouldn’t be a bad idea for a legitimate space program. Having a refueling station on the moon makes the most sense for interplanetary travel.

Plus, SpaceX has a team who’s sole purpose is keeping Musk away from things.

• @antidote101@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Oh no, there’s no fueling station on the moon. The rocket is being built with such a oversized payload that it needs 15 refueling rockets to be sent up to refuel it just to get one rocket to the moon.

As opposed to the 1970s Appolo missions which took one rocket to get there and back… Musk is using 15 to get there and back.

Destin from Smarter Everyday gave a speech at NASA about how it’s kind of a crazy plan but no one is allowed to criticize it because Musk is so rich and NASA has penned a deal…

… then recently Thundef00t made a video about it that makes it clearer what Destin was saying.

• @dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        62 months ago

I read your post and thought, “there’s no way this is correct, this person has to be exaggerating the plan.” I’m in the rocket and satellite business but haven’t followed NASA’s plans in the last decade since they have been so misguided. So I figured I’d look it up and see what the real plan was.

Holy shit, you were actually being kind. NASA estimates up to 20 launches per trip, because they don’t trust SpaceX’s boil-off estimates. NASA’s overall plan is even wilder than the plan for just SpaceX. They have New Glenn launching one thing, Boeing’s rocket launching another thing, SpaceX’s new rocket launching a bunch of other stuff. All of those rendezvous before to prepare for the mission, then part of that thing goes to the moon. Then it comes back and re-rendezvous before another part separates and goes to Earth.

• TWeaK
      link
      fedilink
      English
      92 months ago

Having a refueling station on the moon makes the most sense for interplanetary travel.

My experience in KSP tells me you want extraction and a refinery on the moon, but refuelling to be done in orbit.