Now that we can create and delete usernames at will, do people have any concerns about giving people they meet their Signal ID? I have no fears of it. In fact, my Signal is oozic.35 if anyone wanta to message me.

• @Delusion6903
    link
    English
    12 months ago

I don’t disagree with you either. But I think that when people give their phone number to a business they are often unaware of all of the nefarious ways it will be used, whether by ignorance or deception.

My point is just that replaceable usernames are perfect for random people you meet IRL or on the Internet because it’s minimal trouble to disconnect permanently when the time comes.

• @uzi@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      -22 months ago

I fully agree, except about when it’s time to disconnect, that sounds like you go into every interaction expecting a ime that you will ultimatey cut that person out of your life. Or you go into every situation assiming at some point you will have nothing to do with someone. That’s a self fulfilling mindset.

• @Delusion6903
        link
        English
        12 months ago

Those are the particular interactions for which I have used usernames. People I know have me in contacts. Also, iirc, if I change usernames in the middle of a conversation that conversation is able to continue until I delete it. Plenty of time to pass on a new name if desired.