Tesla, the electric car company owned by Elon Musk, has recalled thousands of its new Cybertrucks over safety concerns.

It is because their accelerator pedals currently risk getting trapped by the interior trim, increasing the possibility of crashes.

The BBC recently spoke to a whistleblower at the company who had raised concerns over the safety of pedals of previous Tesla models.

Tesla has been contacted for comment.

The recall affects 3,878 Cybertrucks, which cost roughly $61,000 (£48,320), made between November 2023 and April 2024.

“A trapped accelerator pedal can cause the vehicle to accelerate unintentionally, increasing the risk of a crash,” the US Department of Transportation wrote in a notification of the recall.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    42 months ago

The Santa Cruz is basically that. They took the Tucson and turned the trunk into a bed. I love mine, but it would be neat if it were electric.

• @batmaniam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      32 months ago

Agreed entirely. I live my SC and describe it as “for people who could get away with an SUV or hatchback but need a bed”. Like I get to have more of a car (albeit big for a car) but the messy stuff doesn’t get in the cab.

My bet is on Ford doing a mav EV before Hyundai does a SC EV though. Just glad to see more tiny trucks out there.