I’m at a point in life I get a phone, set it up and live my life.

Everytime I get updates for my Samsung phone my menu is wack and I gotta click through thousand new commands and options that I will never use in my life.

Please just give me updates for my security and no more features.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    English
    212 months ago

Running an un-updated OS is really stupid. Bragging about it is even worse.

• @BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Really?

Show me evidence of your claim.

Also, cute personal insult there. Grow up.

I’ve got a metric for you: I’ve lost hundreds/thousands of hours to updates on numerous systems throughout my 35+ year career.

I’ve never once lost time or data to a hack.

There are millions of systems still running windows 95 for hardware that can’t use anything newer (think CNC machines). Are those admins “stupid” for not upgrading? Or maybe, becuase they know their risk model, they’ve addressed the risks properly, through layering?

So who’s stupid here?

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        English
        62 months ago

You want me to prove to you that not applying security updates is stupid?

Also, those systems running 95 don’t connect to the internet. Phones do.

• impure9435
        link
        fedilink
        52 months ago

There are millions of systems still running windows 95 for hardware that can’t use anything newer (think CNC machines).

These are never connected to the internet though. Also, these aren’t personal devices that store sensitive information, they’re just used for one specific task (and without internet connection), which is fine.