• @delirious_owl
    link
    112 months ago

What’s their e-bike situation like? Are there good ones or will they blow my nuts off?

• @CoffeeJunkie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          32 months ago

Oh I was making a joke, like you posted an ‘or’ comment & I replied Yes like it will do both. 😂 Good bike, blows your balls off.

I’ve been looking at Super73 for years as a CLASSIC styling, really handsome ebike. YouTube search for things like Survival ebike, ebike for preppers. Because you’ll tap into a whole community of people that want good & tough ebikes, not flimsy crap, ebikes that should be good relatively long-term. I trust Canadian Prepper; this video is a little older but information & considerations tend to be relevant years later.

I saw another prepper cheaping it with $700-800 ebikes, if I find it I’ll post name & link…

Anyway jokes aside I hope that helps. Idk your situation but I’d almost be tempted to wait just a few more years; pandemic/oil prices have pushed so many ebikes into the wild & that has brought about soooooo much real-world testing & consumer feedback. I’m thinking the ebikes just a few years from now will be so much better, and possibly for cheaper or the same price.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            22 months ago

In my experience preppers buy things that sit in their storage space unused. I want something I can use hard (as a cargo bike) several times per day, every day, for decades.

• @CoffeeJunkie@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              12 months ago

This is a valid criticism that we talk about…working through supply, using supply, and becoming familiar with it is actually the ideal we should all strive for. 🙂 Idk about any bike, electric or not, that can withstand hard use several times/day for decades. (o_O) But product design is getting better all the time!

• @delirious_owl
                link
                edit-2
                2 months ago

Oh, I definitely know bikes that can survive hard use for decades. Of course you have to change wearing parts every X thousand km, but the bike should last generations.

What I’m unsure about is the e-bikes. I really don’t want the battery to catch fire or explode. And the motor should last generations.

• @delirious_owl
                link
                12 months ago

Some of the best bikes that last decades were built in the 1970s. There are some machines that don’t get more durable when you throw more R&D at it.

Breakthroughs in product design for nonelectric bikes have been mostly optimizing weight, but very minor improvements that don’t apply steel cargo bikes built to last generations.

• @Wahots@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      22 months ago

Even some domestic brands like Juiced go on sale for like, $1,200 for a Juiced Ripracer. Aventon appears to make good stuff too, if you want bike shop support. I’ve had my bike for a month and put 320 miles on it. Fun little bike :)