I know that there are ten different alternatives. Why don’t we simply improve the basic stuff?

• hapidjus
    link
    fedilink
    02 months ago

@TigrisMorte Why not? I don’t understand the hate with using valid filename characters in filenames. If anything I would argue it makes detecting non-conformant code easier… you wouldn’t want a program to skip processing a file because it has the letter Z in it would you?

• TigrisMorte
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

Makes CLI involving the space a pain. Use an underscore if you must have a visual space, but best practices would be to use Camel Case, no punctuation (including spaces), and include the date in Gregorian format CCYYMMDD

I don’t know if any given system shall issues or could handle it fine, but I know some systems cannot handle spaces in file names. There is no reason to tempt fate.

• hapidjus
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

@TigrisMorte I don’t think camel case would make sense for files such as books, music or movies when you want the name to look proper.

• TigrisMorte
          link
          fedilink
          22 months ago

It is a filename not a PR press release. How it looks is irrelevant to how the system handles it. Want the display to show something other than the file name is easy and doesn’t risk errors, unlike punctuation in filenames which creates problems and solves none.

• hapidjus
            link
            fedilink
            02 months ago

> How it looks is irrelevant to how the system handles it

Then IMO it shouldn’t matter that there is a space in it. I disagree with your viewpoints and I think if someone wants a space or punctuation in their filename, they should be able to do that without problems.

• TigrisMorte
              link
              fedilink
              12 months ago

Your opinion does not matter. Nor does the presentation upon the screen, which is what you are actually asking for. The reality was explained and you are stamping your feet and holding your breath.