I had them air fried before, and if you really inspect them and think about it you can tell they aren’t chicken (from the texture but the taste is identical IMO). But I had them fried in a deep fryer this weekend and they were indistinguishable from real chicken nuggets. I am flexitarian so it’s not like I haven’t eaten a chicken nugget in years, they are legit. Definitely recommend trying them if you are trying to cut your meat consumption or even if you are just curious.

They make animal shaped and spicy versions too

• @frogfruit
    link
    611 months ago

This term has been around for decades and still, very few people know what it means. As someone who eats 0 animal products 90+% of the time, it’s just easier to say “mostly vegan.”

Some people will nitpick and say that I mean plant based instead of vegan but the general public knows what vegan means and do not think of plant based as synonymous with “vegan in diet only” so I’ll continue to use what doesn’t require a ton of explanation.

• @Idrunkenlysignedup@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      311 months ago

it’s just easier to say “mostly vegan.”

I dated a girl who really didn’t care for meat or cheese and was 98% vegan. Her mom was/is a militant vegan, so growing up she just never developed a taste for meat or dairy. She had no problem eating it, but it was far from her go to - the best steak in the world would have been ‘meh’ to her cause it’s wasn’t her jam.

I get what you’re saying tho. If I understand right, a flexitarian is a vegetarian/vegan by preferred diet but not unwaveringly.

• @frogfruit
        link
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Yes, a flexitarian is a part-time veg but still sometimes eats animal products. A vegan does not consume or use any animal products for ethical reasons. If you consume a vegan diet but still buy animal products to wear, clean with, etc, then you consume a plant-based diet but are not technically vegan.

The problem with saying plant-based is that it implies “based on plants” with no rigid definition. Some people think it means “vegetarian but not vegan” or just “mostly plants.” I have even seen products that contain animal products that I am allergic to marketed as “plant-based,” so it’s just not a good term for me.