Title is editorialized because the original is, frankly, clickbait garbage

• Fleppensteyn
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

Giving it a try since I haven’t heard of this.

It seems to have cool options, but for navigation it’s just completely unusable.

• Dog
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Who in their right mind would charge a subscription fee to download and/or update maps?

Edit: I only found out about this after my father downloaded the app on his phone, and it said he only has 5 downloads remaining before downloading the map for my state. It’s extremely dumb for a “privacy focused maps app”

• @oddsys@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        152 months ago

Only from walled garden app stores, the full unrestricted OSMAnd APK is available for free without restrictions from fdroid

• Dog
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -12 months ago

But isn’t it open sourced? Can’t they have like a buymeacoffee? Not lock the most important feature behind a paywall?

• @kudos@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            102 months ago

It’s not locked, build it yourself or download the apk from fdroid. If that is too complicated for you (or anyone else), maybe pay for the service being provided then?

• Dog
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -62 months ago

Ahh yes, let me install an Android PacKage on an iPhone

• @AFaithfulNihilist@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                162 months ago

That just goes with a territory of having an iPhone. When you bought that device you signed on to a culture of consumption that is enforced by the developer of that device.

The developer can’t force Apple to let the developer give it to you for free. Apple doesn’t tolerate free very well and anything that is free on Apple is likely either a privacy nightmare or is paid for by some subscription you have with Apple.

This isn’t a problem with the app It’s a problem with the Apple.

• Dog
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  12 months ago

Because a subscription is definitely a viable alternative.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        42 months ago

If you really want to you can just download them outside the app for free. I like that it provides a free option for those with more time than money and a paid option for those with more money than time.