Bridgy Fed’s Bluesky integration is now in beta, and makes it possible to connect your account from the Fediverse to Bluesky, and vice versa.

There’s still some quirks, and every bridged account has to opt in to it, but it’s a promising moment for people that want to communicate across networks.

• @ericjmorey
    link
    English
    22 months ago

Isn’t that the same issue with ActivityPub and the instances that host accounts and messages?

• @sabreW4K3@lazysoci.al
      link
      fedilink
      English
      112 months ago

No. With ActivityPub, it’s totally decentralized. There’s no central authority whatsoever. What there is however, is an instance that’s bigger than the rest. So if we talk about Lemmy. I can access it and post and my ISP can block Lemmy World and I’d never know.

With BlueSky, it pretends to be similar, but the reality is that everything needs to go through their central server in order to be displayed on a timeline. BlueSky is designed in such a way so that everyone does the heavy lifting, but to be seen, you need to have approval from their central server, where they can modify, insert adverts, do whatever. It’s a centralised service that cosplays as decentralised. I don’t understand why people keep pushing it when it’s literally the same shit we all escaped from but with a new paint job.

• @ericjmorey
        link
        English
        61 month ago

With BlueSky, it pretends to be similar, but the reality is that everything needs to go through their central server in order to be displayed on a timeline.

They have been saying that this is an implementation detail that will change when they open up that part of their implementation. Which is nice, but until that happens I’m only lukewarm in my optimism for Bluesky and the AT protocol.

On the other hand, every federated network has converged on a central host for the vast majority of accounts and data. That host has outsized influence over the standard used on the network and unencrypted acess to the majority of data. So I’m not sure what really matters to what extent.