• @delirious_owl
    link
    81 month ago

There’s no reason people using tornado wouldn’t have to disclose their sources to the authorities, same as cash.

But it does protect them from malicious actors.

• @Serinus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      -21 month ago

I don’t think you understand. Banks (or anyone who accepts large amounts of money) has a duty to have some idea of where that money comes from. There are anti money laundering laws.

Go open a bank account right now and try to deposit a briefcase full of $50,000 in cash and see what happens. You might, maybe be able to do it, but there will absolutely be questions.

• @uis@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          31 month ago

I think it will go to my quotes collection. “We know what the rules are, we are saying they’re wrong”.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        41 month ago

That doesn’t apply to small amounts below $10k

But, again, the same applies. I deposit btc or cash into a bank, even $50k, then I disclose its source to the authorities, with the paperwork. But by using a privacy service, I can comply with the law and protect myself from malicious actors

Go open a bank account right now and try to deposit a briefcase full of $50,000

I’ve done this. They ask you for the paperwork documenting the source of the funds. Just follow the process. It doesn’t matter if its fiat or crypto.