Hello,

There is a unique problem of the fediverse. When an instance goes offline, its communities will never sync again.

Recently, vlemmy.com shutdown. Quite a few communities synced with discuss.online and other instances. Because vlemmy.com is not longer brokering communication, these communities will never be in sync again.

We have a several options:

1. Leave them there. Do nothing.
  2. Leave them there but make a post that it’s dead and hope people see it.
  3. Purge the communities. Act like they never existed.
  4. Build some elaborate system to work around vlemmy being gone. This would take a lot of work and collaboration with other instances.

Let me know what makes the most sense to you as users. Are any of you still using vlemmy communities? What about long-term planning? Maybe this isn’t an issue now but what if lemmy.world vanished?

Please, let me know what you think. I’m torn on this one.

Thanks, Jason

• @ericjmorey
    link
    21 year ago

If that network noise causes problems, address it. Otherwise, I don’t see why you should spend effort on it.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      111 months ago

It’ll be problematic at scale. Nothing but log noise right now. However, it’s difficult to parse through real issues in logs, currently.

• @ericjmorey
        link
        211 months ago

Restriction to mods only seems like a good idea.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          211 months ago

I think it’s an excellent short-term bandage. But we will need something for the long-term.