• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    11 month ago

I’ve heard web developers say that a lot of that is due to Firefox’s annoying (to them) choices.

I happen to know HTML, CSS, & raw JS even though nothing at all from the last roughly decade, and I guarantee you that I can, and have, written webpages that work on any browser. More to the point, Firefox does not fully support HTML5 - and while tbf none of the browsers do(:-P), it does lag noticeably behind. Then again, it has made major pushes forward in terms of security… though seemingly at the cost of its basic functionality, to the point where if you want to use some even moderately complex coding framework, then you pretty much have to use Chrome.

So what I do is use Firefox for personal use, and Chrome at work. I then also use Chrome at home for personal use, unless I want to view a commercial site (where ads make every experience not only slower but practically unusable imho). Sadly, that’s the only option I have, if I want to be able to “view websites”.

In the past, Microsoft used to encourage features that would work only in their shitty-AF browser. But I got the sense that this is not what is happening now, b/c it’s simply HTML5 - did Google somehow have some “in” with whoever designed that, hoping to give themselves an edge?

Anyway, I use Firefox, but I wish it was better.:-( I’m always so frustrated with it that I keep telling myself I will replace it someday, perhaps with LibreWolf?

• @mexicancartel@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 month ago

Well yeah. If you want features that screws up user privacy, then its already bad to do it that way. Use js obfuacation and webassembly so thay you can hide the js running, make more and more of device info availiable to the websites you use so that they can have a tiny little featute at the cost of privacy, etc.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        21 month ago

Not the particular web developer I had in mind, who prefers raw JS and resents having to use libraries, but sadly yeah far too common it’s that, for basically no other reason than that - like, there’s other ways to make “pretty” and “functional”:-(. The web has truly enshittified, and I’m glad Firefox is still fighting against it.:-)