Are there any good resources for helping someone getting into Linux? One of my friends I never thought would get into Linux is asking me for help. He specifically is an advanced Windows power user. I also had someone who was a complete noob, even to Windows.

For the noob, I suggested LMDE and Kubuntu and they’ve been having some issues installing LMDE.

For the power user, I suggested the easy distros such as lmde, kubuntu, nobara but also told them if they wanted to jump into the deep end, arch is cool.

However, my suggestions don’t even cover DEs, WMs or what they even are. I just wish there was a good guide out there. I think that’s the biggest hurdle, so many options and not knowing what to pick.

• @yala
    link
    21 month ago

Vast swathes of user interfaces are non-intuitive to the point of new users not knowing that options exist.

Yeah, because they simply don’t care (enough) (yet). Operating systems are mostly just portals/platforms for internet/mail/games/office or what have you. As long as the desired app/program/software works as needed, you won’t see anyone budge about it.

I would love it if people cared more, but they simply don’t (understandably so). Unfortunately, the easiest (or simply least cumbersome) way always thrives. Fear of learning something new or change even terrorizes the Linux space; e.g. systemd, Wayland, atomic/composable/immutable etc.

Heck, most of us don’t read instruction manuals etc. Is it bad behavior? Sure, I guess. But should this prevent us from approaching this problem more pragmatically?