I’m in the process of finding a server to run as a homlab. It will be running proxmox VE and have a couple of machines running at a time for testing purposes. These machines will run anything from server 2022 to debian and various other distros depending on what I wanna fiddle around with.

Does anyone have any experience with Xeon E-2400 Cores or their subsequent “consumer” variants in intel 14000-series running proxmox?

From what i gather in the forums there is a pretty substantial performance difference between e-cores and p-cores which are present in the Raptor Lake CPU’s

So the question is: Would you rather have a Xeon E-2400 8C/16T CPU or an i9 14900 8p16E/32T in a proxmox hypervisor?

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    edit-2
    22 days ago

Im not sure Intel has any worthwhile CPU’s unless you are getting them used.

Currently E cores are mostly trash, and not all that “efficient” and letting a P Core turbo up and get the task completed uses less overall power.

Secondly Intel is lying about its heat output, and power use. Everything from 10th gen up is a power hog if you dont limit the performance to well below “stock” settings.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2612-intel-core-i5-13500/

This is a good match up between an i5-13500 vs R5 7600, which is the most interesting IMO. The R5 7600 seems to be about $15 less expensive for just the CPU and uses 3/4ths the power which will be a greater savings over time vs Intel. The AMD Motherboards also still seem to trend a bit lower in cost than Intel.

So overall its a good question. If you can get a use 13500 or one under $150 then its probably worth it, but at retail prices the 7600 will cost less to buy, and less to own while being similar in performance.